Re: [Epic] Chaos Marine Air Defense & Artillery (E40K)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:26:20 +1000

Scott Shupe wrote:

> Well that's why (in my mind), you should only get the
> CSM strat rating of 5 if your army is composed of nothing but
> CSM models - i.e. no daemon engines, not even in support of
> a CSM infantry det.

What about Land Raiders? Rhinos? Obviously they are Space Marines too,
or at least I hope so. What about a CSM Dreadnaught though? It's an SM
Dreadnaught severely warped by Chaos, so it has completely different
stats from the regular one. What about a Whirlwind so mutated that it's
become Chaos Artillery? How about Disk Riders? Steeds of Slaanesh?

look at the fluff on book 2, page 81:

"The ancient artificers of the Chaos Legions toil long and hard to
create massive engines of destruction..."
Are these "Chaos Legions" "Chaos Space Marine Legions"? Maybe. But maybe
not. So this is inconclusive, favouring your argument as much as it does
mine.

"Commanders of the Iron Warriors Legion in particular favour massive
sige guns like the Cannon of Khorne..."
But THIS on the other hand, states quite clearly that Commanders of a
CSM legion favour a particular weapons system, inclusion of one of which
by your definition would drastically reduce the army's Strategy Rating.

detachments containing CSMs or possibly containing CSMs), and the Fluff
(what pitifully little there is) count against your position.
Playability too.

> A counter argument is that a chaos engine detachment
> lowers the strat rating (even if it has CSMs in support)
> because the det. type determines who's in command. CSM det.
> with engine support -> CSMs are in control. Daemon engine
> det. with CSM support -> daemons are in control, and thus the
> lower rating.

Look at the Chain of Command for it though. Any unit - including a CSM
one if so provided - can be the detachment HQ.
--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo