[Epic] Comics PC?

From: Jason Stephensen <J.Stephensen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:27:55 +1000 (EST)

> Look at what happened to Eastman and
>Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after they went big.

That was truly a sad thing from which they'll never recover.

> Or Batman. Or
>the comic book and action figure industries in general. I think the
>fundamental problem is that "teenagers" is aiming a little high (pun
>intended) as a target audience. I think the intended audience is 10-12
>year olds, and I think that a cleanly drawn line between bad guys and good
>guys appeals best to this audience.

I just have to argue this point about comics being sanitised now. The only
sanitation within the comic world (And I have been an avid collector for
pushing 2 decades) is within Marvel comics, which now produce trash and is
slowly dieing from abject bankruptcy. The rest of the comic world, while in
an unhealthy state does not necessarilly follow political correctness. There
have been heaps of new comics rejecting the censorship-wrought comics code
authourity, and making very adult (violent or mature) comics. A lot of these
tackle either the real world or very important points. I am proud that I buy
NO comics censored by the comics code authority, but then I hate the entire
concept of censorship over adult or mature readers. Children should be
protected, but mature adults should be free to choose.

>Howard

                 Colonel Abrahms, 22nd NU-Atol Regiment
                 Rekartot Redbacks Senior Coach
                   "No Spanky, No. Bad monkey"