Re: [Epic] Campaign Rules

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:32:22 -0500

> From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
>
> I think it's silly that because you take a construction yard,
> you'll be able to pump out a Warlord titan in the next decade. In a
> similar vein, if an Eldar force takes it, this shouldn't allow them to
> produce Eldar Titans at all.
> I don't think the territory system can be applied to 40k or
> Epic in any logial fashion, unless all the important territories are
> web entryways and spaceports.

        Or unless you don't take the territory names quite so
literally... the WHFB system, from what I've heard, is pretty
loose to begin with, why make a big deal about how long it actually
takes to build a titan? Or what certain races could and could
not use etc? No matter what you do it would pretty much all
breakdown with the Tyranids anyway, since they'd just eat anything
they got their claws on.

        How does the veteran unit thing work in the WHFB system?
That sounds fairly interesting, kinda like Titan honors for units?

        I was thinking about what Chad said, and how Epic doesn't
lend itself well to being deprived of certain army elements, at
least not like 40k where you can prohibit characters, psykers, wargear,
support, and allies in starting armies. Well, how about using
limits instead? For example, you could say starting armies are
constructed within the following guidelines:

No allies
No Titans at all, and no SHVs that come as a Special card (Colussus,
        Ordinanti, etc)
No Characters that come as a Special card (Inquisitors, TechMarines,
        Warlords, Warlocks, etc plus Hive Tyrants, not sure about Chaos)
No more than 10-25% of the army in vehicle squadrons/companies
        (vehicles that come as part of another unit are exempt, ie Rhinos)
No more than 10-25% of the army in SHV tanks/companies (SHVs that
        come as part of another unit are exempt, ie Iron Breaker Leviathan)

This is just a rough outline, but it gets my basic point across.
There would be territories that would give you Titans/Special SHVs,
allies, characters, *more* vehicles, and *more* SHVs. So the only
army elements that are outlawed are titans and most special cards,
and allies. Other elements of the army are simply limited unless
you posses certain territories. Plus there would be all the special
territories that would give you more points overall, spy networks,
and whatnot.

The only problems I see have to do with Chaos, since they don't
have any special characters other than the GDs, which are neccessary
elements of the army. So maybe Chaos players would have to max
out on minions without a territory that would give more characters?
And the Plague Tower would probably be classified as a 'Special
card' SHV.

Thoughts?

Scott
shupes_at_...