Re: [Epic] Campaign Rules

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:58:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Spatula wrote:

> How does the veteran unit thing work in the WHFB system?
> That sounds fairly interesting, kinda like Titan honors for units?

I'm not really sure. I believe that it has something to do with
destroying a unit (capturing its standard). The unit becomes "elite" and
is allowed some ability, like a re-roll or some such. I'm not really
sure. I would suggest that for Epic you would get "vet" status if you
broke a company or Titan (destroyed). You would lose that "vet" status if
the "vet" unit was ever itself broken. We have discussed using Battle
Honors for Titans before, the opinion (in the group I play with) seems to
be that you must earn a battle honor before you can buy one (you still
have to buy it if you earn it). This is to keep balance.

> Well, how about using
> limits instead? For example, you could say starting armies are
> constructed within the following guidelines:
>
> No allies
> No Titans at all, and no SHVs that come as a Special card (Colussus,
> Ordinanti, etc)
> No Characters that come as a Special card (Inquisitors, TechMarines,
> Warlords, Warlocks, etc plus Hive Tyrants, not sure about Chaos)
> No more than 10-25% of the army in vehicle squadrons/companies
> (vehicles that come as part of another unit are exempt, ie Rhinos)
> No more than 10-25% of the army in SHV tanks/companies (SHVs that
> come as part of another unit are exempt, ie Iron Breaker Leviathan)
>
> This is just a rough outline, but it gets my basic point across.
> There would be territories that would give you Titans/Special SHVs,
> allies, characters, *more* vehicles, and *more* SHVs. So the only
> army elements that are outlawed are titans and most special cards,
> and allies. Other elements of the army are simply limited unless
> you posses certain territories. Plus there would be all the special
> territories that would give you more points overall, spy networks,
> and whatnot.

I have given some thoughts to this also and come up much the same. I
hadn't gone to the point of limiting units you can start with, just what
territories give you what.

Titan/Squat SHV
Special Card, Character (medic, Warlock)

That sort of thing

> The only problems I see have to do with Chaos, since they don't
> have any special characters other than the GDs, which are neccessary
> elements of the army. So maybe Chaos players would have to max
> out on minions without a territory that would give more characters?
> And the Plague Tower would probably be classified as a 'Special
> card' SHV.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Scott
> shupes_at_...

This whole idea could turn out to be a very good system. It will be
interesting to see if Epic40k has a good campaign system. How about it
Rumor Control, what kind of campaign rules are there and how do they work?

Chad