[Epic] mailing list options

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:13:28 -0400

It's great we've got so many volunteers, but maybe we should get organized
before we all end up on 15 different lists, wondering where everybody else
is. :)

First, I assume all the people who replied to the list to subscribe to
either James Topa's list or Sauron's realize it didn't work, right? :)

Considerations:
Although the guy officially our administrator either has left or is leaving,
we haven't really had someone serving as administrator for a long time. I
think we'd want to have some sort of consensus not only on the list
software, but the administrator. I suppose it would OK if we continue as
freeform as we have, but sometimes I think it would be good if we had an
agreed-upon administrator to help quash topics that go too far too long.
(The Full Thrust list has such a guy, and it seemed helpful while I was on
that list.)

I think we'd want to choose an administrator and host that is going to be
around for a while. So if you're a college senior and want to set up
something at your school, don't apply. :)

People are free to set up additional lists for specific rule sets or any
other limitations, but I think the most common desire is for the same format
we have now. I wouldn't mind having a few more of the NetEpic and SM/TL
people back. I was disappointed when some decided it wasn't worth being
here anymore. Some switched to Dirtside II, though. (I pulled my DSII
rulebook out again. Maybe I'll try one just for comparison. :)

James Topa has set up a listbot discussion mailing list. He says it does
allow everyone to post, contrary to what other people have said about
listbot. I don't know, but I think I have seen posts from other people's
tests. I've not seen a message with the correct reply-to field set, though.

Sauron posted something about a majordomo variant. Sorry, Sauron, but I had
trouble parsing your message. Did you actually set up a list? How do you
subscribe? Not by replying back to this list, right? Are you sure you know
enough about networks to do this? Just kidding! :)

Tor Viktorsson says he may get a longer lease on life for our current group.
If that helps us make a decision, I'm for that.

Brad Hann offered a major domo list, but I don't know where.

I think we ought to add any other offers that have been made to this list,
and try to reach consensus. To be honest, I'd prefer someone who has been
active on the list to someone whose name I don't recognize. But a willing
volunteer is not to be despised!

Let's get all the possibilities first. I'm inclined to take Sauron's list,
if he can devote the resources to it. (If I'm reading his message
correctly.)

thanks,
andy