Re: [Epic] Infiltrators in Drop Pods

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 02:39:00 -0600

J Andrew Evans wrote:

> ratlings, etc etc but I continue to have a structural problem with the Tyranid.
> Because the Tyranid need three synapse creatures to lead a detachment, one is
> limited as to how many detachments one can create - by how many synapse models
> you've got. One cannot create a detachment made up entirely of Lictors and thus
> Lictors are likely to end up in lots of ordinary detachments. The Army lists
> are written, IMHO, with a view to creating two sorts of detachments - one where
> the nasties board Assault Spawn and travel across the table to their lunch (in
> this lictors can race ahead, no problem) and a second Mycetic Spawn which is
> almost invariably dropped from above straight into the dining room.

Believe me, you never have enough synapse creatures. I've bought 30 sprues of bugs
now, and I still find myself groping for tyrannid warriors, spending 20 minutes
before each battle rearranging my army list because I miscounted the TW's I had put
in. I've got 12 HT's, which are well worth the points; The psyker bonus is great.

> Are we really limiting Lictors to a role in the first, Assault Swarm, and
> limiting their usefulness elsewhere. Just seems a pity, is all. Perhaps the
> "solution" is for Lictors in Mycetic Swarms not to drop with the others but to
> appear, using their infiltrate move from any table edge.

I definately don't like that lictors need synapse creatures. They should be their
own synapse creatures; they can't lead any other unit type, but can act
independantly and never break, which is what I though lictors were supposed to do. I
tried all lictor units with minimum synapse creatures, but the synapse creatures
always slowed them down.

> Hey! Have I just talked myself into a solution. Is the "reality" that the
> lictors did not drop from the pods at all but simply revealed themselves in
> their hiding places (up to 45cm from the drop zone) where they were hiding from
> a previous infiltration.
>

> Am I convincing anyone?

See my faster than light drop pod post!

thane