Re: [Epic] Infiltrators in Drop Pods

From: J Andrew Evans <J_Andrew_Evans_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 18:03:44 +0100

Sauron1 wrote:

> Sauron1 writes; JAE;
>
> I believe British,Canadian,American and Free-French Commandos and
> Paratroopers went in to France the night before. Some units were successful
> and some not. I believe even some attacked concrete bunker implacements for
> large artillery pieces that never were installed.
>
> That is why Eisenhower had to make a decision two days ahead. The
> critical access points through the flooded areas to the Coast had to be
> eather destroyed or controlled by ailed Commando/Paratrooper units before
> the main landings went in.

Somehow the Epic rule should allow re-creation of that sort of scenario.
However my "use drop pods and allow infiltrator move would not be best for
that. I can't help thinking Thane's "Lictor-only" detachments would be the best
to re-create that sort of activity. That is, group of lictors appear on the
board and as one detachment attempt to hold a position or assault some objective
whilst the main body of Tyranid approached in other ways.

> The main assault drew the defenders attention, while the infiltrarors
> left relatively unmolested to fight only sporadic locally deployed troops
> until the defending army could gather enough intelligence to find everybody,
> or crush the recon units with overwhelming strength.
>
> In any case these brave souls did their job.
>
> Normandy would make a fantastic Epic scale game, I think I might try it
> after the current campaign is finished.( Battle of the Bulge} Orks as the
> Attackers, IG as Defenders,SM as relieving troops.
>
> sauron1_at_...

Actually this sounds pretty good although would have to come up to some Water
Landing craft rules and not allow the use of drop pods - only infiltrator
movement from another table edge.

I know you play SM2 but any good ideas for the structure of the Normandy
campaign would be welcome.

A#