Re: [Epic] FIREPOWER Follow Up question

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:48:19 -0500

Trevor,

I agree. Range and size of table have a mutual relationship when it comes to
this new flak power. The planes only keep going only if they are snap fired on
and the snap fire fails to hit. But remember that a hit also means most air
units have a 1/3 chance of dying on their dmage check.

Consider an artillery detachment with 3 Hydras at its center and the artillery
arrayed (circle or semi circle) less than 15 cm around the flak units. Any
Fighta Bommerz or Doomwings who approach this detachment to fire at the
artillery units will all have to avoid a hit from three snap fires apiece ...
statistically a nasty situation with a 5+ to hit and 5+ damage roll to kill.
And, even a damaged air unit is effectively out of the game, since it will be
three turns instead of two before it can fly and it must also wait to fly with
the other units from its detachment, thereby delaying the detachment or the
repaired units for at least another turn.

Most games don't last that long ... especially a tournament type game.

And, the foregoing example can apply to other situations; i.e.; three hydras
deployed in separate detachments who maneuver to keep themselves about 30 cm
apart in a triangular fashion cover a lot of ground with an almost impenetrable
(statistically speaking) umbrella of air cover ... *shiver* ...

Greg