RE: [Epic] Epic 40K

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:45:09 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Andy Skinner wrote:

[pop-up discussion]

> Apparently I _did_ understand. :-) But this is a change, that
> instead of going up as high as they want, they go just high enough
> to get over their cover, then see what they can shoot at.

Exactly... you do LOS from the top of the intervening terrain just like
you normally do LOS for non-pop-ups. Oh, and incedentially all infantry
and vehicles have 360 fire arcs... in fact you can turn your vehicles in
place during the shooting phase to line 'em up. War Engines (titan and
SHV class) cannot rotate, and all weapon systems have fire arcs.

> So there is an HQ unit per detachment, and all members of
> the detachment must be within 30 cm of that HQ unit.
> Can you have more than one detachment of the same units,
> so you could have (for instance) Land Speeders on both ends
> of the battle?

Detachments can be combined arms. Usually you'll start with a core of
infantry or a core of vehicles. Then the opposite of vehicles or infantry
are availble as limited support within the detachment. In your example,
yes by creating two seperate detachments you can have Land Speeders on
opposite sides of a battlefield.

> Do you use one orders die per detachment? I only thought of
> expense because I pictured having as many orders dice as we
> currently have of each kind of orders counter. Since
> detachments can get bigger, do you only have about 3 per
> side? Or does each detachment not necessarily get an orders
> die?

Orders are assigned to a detachment as a whole.

Orders dice are only used when a det. is put on special orders.
Detachemnts will often be on "standard" orders and not require a die.
Personally I see battles requiring more than 6 dice, so I'm going to use
counters.

Special orders are as follows:
Overwatch
Assault
March
Special (Flak Alert and Prep. Bombardment)

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy