Re: [Epic] OT old board games

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:35:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Thane Morgan wrote:

> All this talk of air combat has resurrected old memories. When I was about 6
> through 10, I had a series of board games utilizing plastic peices, which I
> would like to find if possible.
>
> The first was a WWI biplane game, with 2 German and 2 american or british
> squadrons. The planes were plastic 1 - 2 inch peices, where the top wing
> snapped onto the lower. The Germans had red planes, and the Aliies had green
> planes. I remember Cards being used for manuevers and maybe shooting. I think
> it was by American Heritage Games, or something close to it.

I think this was Milton Bradley "dawn patrol"? I remember cards like
barrel roll and stuff like that, and you could ground attack stuff like
destroy ammo dumps and the sort. Hmm. kind of fuzzy, last played around
1975, but i think the game was older than that, a late '60s issue.

> The second was a game with a 10 X 10 or 12 X 12 board, green and brown with 2
> lakes in the center. Placed over this board was a plastic tray on stands, with
> another grid on it, corresponding the squares on the lower board. I think
> Helicopters were on the upper board, and jeeps or tanks on the lower.

I saw this in the old Sears or Wards X-Mas wishbook. but Santa never put
it under the tree, the bastard.

> Some of you older gamers may remembar these better than I do. I'd appreciate
> any assistance tracking them down. I remember tham as being fun, though I think
> we often decided to ignore the main rules in favor of throwing the peices at
> each other.

Ahh yes. the first glimmer of a creator of house rules. I confess I did
the same, using the torpedo counters from the old "Midway" game that way.

They were still being found at the parents place, years later.

> Thane

**
Damnetur! Avocatio tantum est!

mike