Re: [Epic] Epic shock troops

From: Dan Lobb <danlobb_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 03:00:34 -0800

Jimi Tubman wrote:

> The US Marines....Shock Troops!! Hard to believe!!
> What about Somalia when the Boyz got their asses kicked back into the
> sea!!

This is a factor of the role they played and their rules of engagement.
They were not acting as shock troops, but policemen and guards. Sort of
like a SWAT team. The worst was their rules of engagement. The State
Department ran the show and set the rules. Doomed from the start! The
warlords received advance warning of any movement against them. This
reminds me of the orders Warren Christopher gave to the Delta Force on
their aborted attempt to rescue the hostages in Iran. They were told
that they were to avoid killing any of the terrorists and shoot to wound
only. A ridiculous idea and impossible to implement.

danlobb_at_...