Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Orders

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 02:46:17 -0600 (CST)

>OK so they have gone the way of 40K and the good old assault guys are gone.
>great, so if I actually want to use them I can't by the new rules. Not only
>do they expect us to rebase all the infantry/bikes/cav they really have
>wiped them out.

Looks like my guess of, "if its not in 40k don't bet on it being in
Epic40k," was dead on.

>>Point totals for main force: 2x14 (Reg) + 4x14 (Hvy) + 4x14 (Chimeras) =
>>140 Points.
>>
>>Finally is the Support. You can only choose as many support as you have
>>squads in the main force so I'm limited to 6. Choices are: Ratlings,
>>Ogryn, Sentinel, Support Weapon, Leman Russ, Demolisher, Griffon,
>>Hellhound, Hydra.

Funny. From way up high on the vaunted battle barge, you, the commander,
can't be bothered with nit-picky little details like what kind of weapon
your Titan is armed with. No, you're too busy wondering if your Leman Russ
is a standard or Demolisher variant. I'm sorry, but that explanation GW
gave about why they took so much of the flavour out of the game is just such
a lie.

>Thanks. It gives a great insight into what they want people to do with their
>armies. The points system is actually intriguing, even if it looks much like
>the earlier points system that they had to replace with the cards as it was
>just too ungainly (?) I guess what is old is new again. If it wasn't for the
>massive changes of rules/ minature basing/ price increases I probably would
>have given this new game a go.

Yeah...

>The problem is they are just making it a teeney tiny 40K in it's make-up.
>Well it's what they wanted, but those of us that think 40K sucks, it's
>little help. I know the game system is apparently new, but it still reeks of
>40K to me.

It reeks more of 40k than of Epic to me. Doesn't seem to bear much
resemblance to the game that we all know and love. Net Epic is much more
close to the current incarnation of the game, with Epic40k having nothing
except the vaunted GW quality seal of approval. No matter what people are
saying about Net Epic being a completely different game, and Epic40k being
merely the next edition of the same game, I must disagree. Net Epic is
based strongly in Epic Space Marine, deriving most of its rules from it,
whereas Epic40k is a completely new game, as GW is so fond of pointing out.
I hope once Net Epic is completed that discussion of it won't be banned by
people on the list.

>>Paul R. Tobia _O_
>>"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
>>full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
>>ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy

> Colonel Abrahms, 22nd NU-Atol Regiment
> Rekartot Redbacks Senior Coach
> "No Spanky, No. Bad monkey"