[Epic] Epic _40K_

From: Andy Skinner <andy.skinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 97 08:37:00 EST

I have never played Warhammer 40,000, but I've heard plenty
of comments about it on the net. I wouldn't buy it even to
try it out, partly because, although I like the Orks in Epic
scale, I think they look kinda dumb in the larger models. Plus,
I'd probably give something non-GW a try if I were to start a
new game. (Better change the subject before I get to thinking
about that. Wife: "You want to start a _new_ game?" :-)

Anyway, not knowing anything about 40K but its reputation (and
of course it has plenty of good comments from its fans), I
don't know what to make of the comments people made about how
building armies in Epic 40K is just like how 40K does it. What
effect does that have? What's the problem, other than reminding
you of a game which you don't care for? I'm guessing it will
only be a problem if that army construction method, combined with
the rules, increases the potential for abuse gaining some advantage
over tactics. Once you've built your army and have standard
groups, you can choose from them as easily as choosing cards.

By the way, Paul, I got a little lost about squads vs detachments
in your example. I had thought a squad was the 5 guys on a stand,
but I'm confused. Could you tell me what a squad is, and whether
there are any restrictions on it, different than what are on the
detachment? Thanks.

The problems about having part of your army go away are serious
complaints. I'm looking forward to hashing over the Knight rules,
and seeing whether we come up with something easily agreed upon.
Whether that will work with assault IG, I don't know.

andy
andy.skinner_at_...