Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 04:45:26 -0500 (EST)

Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...> writes:
> At 07:39 PM 6/3/97 -0800, you (Tony) wrote:
> >>Brett Hollindale wrote:
> >Page 32, Titan Legions, Entering Close Combat:
> >
> >"Emperor class Titans and Mega-Gargants can move into close combat at will,
> >but other models must be on charge orders to move into contact with enemy
> >models in the movement phase. As soon as a troop stand or vehicle model
> >touches an enemy they are both engaged in close combat and stop moving
> >immediately if they are pinned (see below). Models with advance..."
> >
> >p. 33. Titans and Gargants in Close Combat:
> >
> >"In order to fight against a Titan or Gargant in close combat vehicles,
> >super heavy vehicles and troop stands must move into contact with the model
> >itself, usually moving so that they touch the model's feet (or equivalent).
> >
> >"A Titan is able to lean forward, sweeping the ground to its front and side.
> >To represent this a Titan can always opt to fight a close combat with models
> >in contact with its base (if it has one), even if the enemy are not actually
> >touching the Titan's feet.
> >
> >"Enemy models that can fly or leap over large distances can also fight if they
> >are touching the Titan's base - they don't need to be touching the Titan's
> >feet. This applies to skimmers, flyers and jump pack-equipped troops.
> >
> >"When two Titans or Gargants fight each other it is sufficient to move the
> >models so that their bases are touching. Both can then fight."
> >
> >It would seem that all of the cases in the second quote are exceptions
> >to the general case in the first quote. Also, they quite clearly indicate
> >that models are not pinned until they come into contact with the enemy
> >model, not its base.
>
> I think that the fact that you can only engage in CC if you are in contact
> with the model combined with the fact that skimmers can CC the titan if they
> in contact with its base add up to the base being part of the model... (The
> fact that it is molded in one piece with the feet is a bit of a giveaway too
> :-)
>
> It seems to me that the quotes you have taken so much effort to type in
> (thankyou!) prove my point rather than disprove it.
>
> 1. You can only CC something if you make contact with the model.
> 2. You can CC a titan if you are in contact with the base.
>
> which gives us...
>
> 3. The base is part of the model.

I still see it the other way.

1. You can only CC something if you can make contact with the model
2. You can only CC a titan if you are in contact with the feet
3. The Titan can choose to CC *you* if you are in contact with the
 base (I consider this point irrelevant to the argument)
4. A special case, skimmers and jump pack troops, can CC a titan if
 they are in contact with the base, but aren't pinned no matter what.
 (Also irrelevant IMHO)
5. The base is not part of the model.

And don't tell me this hasn't happened before (multiple
interpretations) with the GW rules. At this point, I feel that there
is more than one valid interpretation of the rules. Following status
quo, I prefer this one.

Mark