Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 15:47:42 -0600

> Yep, I would be morethan happy to get the only really valid interpretation
> on this...
>
> How about it Allen?
>
> Agro

I'd be perfectly happy to go this route, but Jervis and Andy haven't
answered any mail from me since they began work on EPIC40K late
last October! I never got any answers back from the last batch of
questions I sent them then, nor have I had any responses from the
half dozen or so inquiries I've made over the months since then.

If they wanted to stop answering EPIC questions because a new version
of the game was coming out and the rules were completely changing,
I'd perfectly understand. (And my last few inquiries stated this
fact.) However, I'd have expected to at least have been told that
my services would no longer be required.

Personally, though, I think you are twisting the rules into a direction
they were not meant to be twisted. Old timers on this list will
tell you I'm a strict letter-of-the-rules type of guy, but I think
your entire case here is based upon nothing more than poor phrasing
on the part of GW.

I can't quote from the rulebook right now ('cuz it's at home) but I
truly believe that it is the act of entering CC that pins a model.
(Even if Andy phrases this point poorly; probably because of the
apparent GW tendancy to cut and paste from old rule books when making
new ones.) If the model isn't in combat when it touches the base, then
it isn't pinned. Even the rules you quoted yesterday made it apparent
to me that infantry models were *expected* to run across the base
of the titan and touch its feet.

Note that there are several models in the (current) EPIC line that state
you may place them on a base *if you wish* in order to make them more
stable on the tabletop. I don't think this was intended to allow you
to customize various models pinning ranges.

By the way, a while back you said that infantry would be able to cross
the titans base and touch its feet while on charge orders if said titan
was already pinned. I said that I didn't believe the Titan's pinned
status entered into the equation. If you charge something that can
pin you and you touch it, you are pinned whether that something is
pinned or not. You stated you would quote the rules that would
allow the base to change from something that can pin you to something
that can't pin you depending upon whether or not the titan was pinned.
Did you ever find these? If you posted them I missed it.

-Allen McCarley
(The summarily dispossessed EPIC Q&A guy. Check out my web pages
for the EPIC Q&A archive)