Re: [Epic] Games Workshop's "New Sales Plan"

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:20:03 +0000

> Hey, has anybody out there had this problem? GW has a "New Sales Plan".
> Now they will NOT sell the new Epic40K to stores that won't purchase the new
> Epic rack.
> GW will no longer sell to any of our local dealers if they don't
> sign on. Both of the stores in my town including their sister stores in
> Nashville,
> will not be buying into Epic40K. They are required to buy 6 of EVERYTHING
> game,
> blister, and box set. If 4 stores within 50 miles of where I live are NOT
> going
> to carry the game, I know this must be happening somewhere else in the US.
> I don't know about you people, but I am getting tired of this. Dealing
> with
> this company's bullshit is worse than putting up with my mother-in-law!
> OK, well
> maybe not THAT bad. But I am so tired of it all.
> So if you would, let me know if this is happening in your area. I
> would hate
> to feel like I was the only one taking this crap.
>

> Very tired,
>
> Keith

This is up my alley. I use to run a retail store for many years so I
know well of GW's unhealthy practices. You are correct they are now
pushing the rack and game deal in order to sell the game, but their are
still distributors that still sell the game (Greenfield, Wargames West,
basically the people who hauled GW into court when they stopped selling
to distributors, but thats another story), you might tell your retailer
to contact these companies since he can get from them just what he needs
and not buy what he thinks wont sell.

Many small stores in the tristate area of New York find themselves in
this predicament, most just dont carry the stuff anymore. Only chain
stores like The Complete Strategist have the cash for such a commitment.
My local retailer I believe will get the rack (his 40K sales are very
good and can take the loss), although he knows now (too late of course)
that the product will flop (of course I know everyone that plays epic in
my region and opinion is hostile at best for the "new" game).

No you are not alone and by what I've learned from the distributors many
people wont carry the line due to GW's policy (which by the way isnt new
they been doing this for years). Think what you may about E40k as a
game, but as far as sales, it does not look promising.

Peter