Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:21:32 -0500

> From: Stuart Mottershead <stuart.m_at_...>
>
> Since subscribing to the list a week or so ago to find out about the new
> game system (I don't collect space marine but have been collecting 40k
> for about a year) I have heard a lot of complaints about it. These seem
> to fall into four catagories,
>
> 1) The models are a bit different.

        The infantry bases are different. I don't think anyone's
complaining about the new models, which look really good IMHO.

> 2) GW are rip-off merchants.
>
> 3) The new game is not as 'realistic' as the old one.

        The new game has an increased emphasis on close combat, which
some people find silly in a futuristic wargame. YMMV.

> 4) The new rules are going to 'spoil the game'.

        The new rules remove a lot of flavor from the game. This
is the only really valid complaint as far as I'm concerned. #1 isn't
a big deal, #2 is to be expected, #3 is a matter of personal taste.
#4 is a stupid move on GW's part. A flesh hound is not the same
thing as a beast of nurgle. A death skull is not the same thing as
a goff. A gatling blaster is not the same thing as an inferno gun.

> It seems to me that the first two are fair enough (but not exactly
> unnexpected), and the third may also be true (if a little irrelevant)
> but I don't understand the fourth. I may be missing something, but IMHO
> if the game has not been released yet, then surely the only people that
> can truely judge it are those few that have actually played it.

        True, but people on the internet love to bitch. It's fun,
try it!

> Is there something about the new game that makes it possible for people
> to predict that it will be crap without even playing it, if so, then I
> would like to know before I spend me hard earned cash.

        The people here (for the most part) don't want to see one
of their favorite games die. Which is exactly what's happened to
it with the advent of Epic 40k.

Scott "Bitch Moan Whine" Shupe
shupes_at_...