Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:43:34 -0500 (EST)

Spatula <shupes_at_...> writes:
> > 4) The new rules are going to 'spoil the game'.
>
> The new rules remove a lot of flavor from the game. This
> is the only really valid complaint as far as I'm concerned. #1 isn't
> a big deal, #2 is to be expected, #3 is a matter of personal taste.
> #4 is a stupid move on GW's part. A flesh hound is not the same
> thing as a beast of nurgle. A death skull is not the same thing as
> a goff. A gatling blaster is not the same thing as an inferno gun.

        That alone doesn't bother me that much. However, GW is
inconsistent as usual. According to E40k, a Leman Russ *IS* different
than a Predator even though they're almost the same in the old rules
(1 *slightly* larger shot instead of 2 Lascannon, slower by a little
bit, better CAF by a little bit), while a Vulcan Mega-bolter is the
same as a Turbo Laser Destructor. (In 40k terms, this is about as
different as shooting 8 bolters vs. a pair of Lascannon)

        Basically, everything is now the same (there are only about 3
ork vehicle types instead of the 15 or so there used to be, I think),
except the Imperials get to keep all their tanks distinct, and a few
other glaring inconsistencies.

Mark