Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:01:04 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from Epic: 12-Mar-97 RE: [Epic] New Game Grumbles by Andy
Skinner_at_...
> * Titan weapons--many are grouped together, so that weapons
> with different uses in the old game are now classified as
> a single kind of weapon with no difference in the new.
> Take the Vulcan Mega-Bolter, which is now just a generic
> heavy weapons battery. It might be easy to make a new
> weapon with shorter range and more dice to roll (firepower
> in the new game), but I don't think there is a way to make
> it an anti-infantry weapon, specifically. Those increased
> dice are as effective vs vehicles as vs infantry.

This, as I've said, is the thing that really gets to me, though I have
to admit I hadn't really considered the anti-infantry vs. anti-vehicle
aspect of things with titan weapons. Actually, the distinction between
FP weapons and anti-tank/death rays could work out to some extent here;
it really depends on the armour saves of the vehicles. (Anti-tank guns
always hit on a 4+, probably modified for cover, while FP (firepower)
'to-hit' numbers depend on the save of the target. One interesting note
here is that it's more effective to shoot at Marines with anti-tank
guns, since their armour save is a 5+ -- higher is better, in this case.
 IG have a save of 3+, for reference.)

Still, losing the massive close-range guns vs. fewer shots but
longer-range guns is really a shame; I *liked* the Vulcan Mega-Bolter!
(Who didn't? ^_- ) The loss of Fire Control Centers is a shame, too,
though those should be really easy to house rule in.

> * There doesn't seem to be a way for regular weapons to vary
> independently in damage, accuracy, or number of targets.
> There is just a firepower rating, which affects the number
> of dice thrown, and thus really has an effect on all three
> factors above. If someone knows different, that would be
> nice.

Nope. They've made it fairly irrelevant as to whether your tank has
lascannon vs. battlecannon, unless there's a 1 FP difference or
something. But GW doesn't give those conversions, they've just set the
numbers from the get-go....

>It sounds like there is room for a modifier to a save,
> but I haven't heard that there are any.

I don't think there is actually a seperate save anymore, just test to
see if you hit. This just happens to be based off the target's save
instead of an intrinsic skill in the firerer.

> * Ranges are shorter, increasing importance of close assault.
> I may start off rescaling all the numbers. Apparently, what
> used to go up in increments of 25 cm now goes up in 15cm.

Yup. This actually would make things like the Vulcan Mega-Bolter
irrelevant -- the infantry that charge the Titan in the Close Assault
phase are outside the range of the gun in the firing phase! Hmm, so
maybe make a gun that gives a bonus to a Titan's Assualt Factor vs.
infantry...?

> * Several figure types and two whole armies are not represented
> in the game. These may be easily handled by house rules, but
> it is nice to have something official.

Heh.
                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...