Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: DAVID C LADO, DEPT OF NEUROSCIENCE <LADO_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 23:09:27 -0500 (EST)

>Since subscribing to the list a week or so ago to find out about the new
>game system (I don't collect space marine but have been collecting 40k
>for about a year) I have heard a lot of complaints about it. These seem
>to fall into four catagories,
>
>1) The models are a bit different.
>
>2) GW are rip-off merchants.
>
>3) The new game is not as 'realistic' as the old one.

Yeah, the loss of realism in epic keeps me up at night ;)

>4) The new rules are going to 'spoil the game'.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with these. But
you forgot reason number 5: the mandatory knee-jerk reaction against
any change in the status quo. For as long as I have played epic
(since 2nd ed), whenever a change, new rule, Q&A, new unit, or what
have you, has been intoduced, there is an immediate and vociferous
outcry about the impending doom of the epic system and how such-and-
such will ruin the game and "I will never play epic again". Now is
no different.

I am not defending the new system, I'm just saying that if I believed the
outcry against every change in the game, I would have stopped playing as
soon as I joined the list. Still, it makes for good copy ;)

David