Trademarks, as Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Howard Liu <h2liu_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:35:24 -0800

> On a related note, GW has trademarked "Eldar". Can they really do this?
>The term Eldar has been used for Tolkiens elves since at least the
>seventies, possible the fifties (I'm not sure if the term was used in Lord
>of the Rings).

>Patrik Nordebo patrik_at_...

I don't know about Lord of the Rings, but in the Silmarillion, at least,
"Eldar" is the term for all three branches of elves (the Vanyar, the
Noldor, and the Teleri), collectively. I think there was also an Eldar River.

I've assumed (perhaps incorrectly, in light of the story about GW
threatening to sue its former craftsmen) that these trademarks were here to
keep other people from sueing GW.

Looking through my older catalogs, it seems that GW also has the following
questionable registered trademarks: Avatar, Terminator, Dark Angel and
Marauder.

Howard