Re: [Epic] New Game Grumbles

From: Patrik Nordebo <c96patno_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:15:34 +0100

> At 11:10 AM 3/15/97 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > On a related note, GW has trademarked "Eldar". Can they really do this?
> >The term Eldar has been used for Tolkiens elves since at least the
> >seventies, possible the fifties (I'm not sure if the term was used in Lord
> >of the Rings).
>
> I dont' recall the term from Tolkein. Of course it's been 10 years since I
> read anything by him. You never know, they may have bought the trademark
> from one of Tolkein's heirs or something.
  I very much doubt that they can buy the term, since ICE owns the rights to
publish Tolkienish gaming material. And the reason you recall it is that it
doesn't appear in the Lord of the Rings, it was first published in
Silamrillion.
> ps. All of my statements are based on my understanding of American copyright
> law, and may not be applicable in the UK.
  Copyright is covered by the Berne Convention, which has been signed by most
countries, IIRC. Of course, the interpretation of the convention might vary
from country to country.

--
Patrik Nordebo				patrik_at_...
Computer Science student		+46-(0)13-211934