re:[Epic] Titans and Eldar (looooong) (was: Titans and CC)

From: Cameron Bentsen <stu7i95_at_...>
Date: 17 Mar 1997 11:57 EST

> When you place objectives, put your half on one side of the board (lets
> say the left side). Put the objectives in the open next to terrain.
> This guarentees that at least half the ojectives will be in the open,
> and it denies the eldar player the ability to put an objective in that
> terrain. Even if your opponent is trying to counter you, it can almost
> always be arrainged so that there are at least 5 objective one side
> (the 4 you placed and the one he placed before he figures out which side
> you're going for). The terrain is not important since both clear and
> crowded terrain can be worked to the advantage of either player, you
> just have to pick what you like and make the best of it. If you use
> the official rules for placing terrain, take the opportunity to put
> hills in both deployment zones if possible. They will help him but
> the help you as much if not more (see below).

In my group we have always thought that the idea of the battle commander
deciding where the strategically important areas are in a battle (and thus
being able to unbalance objective placement as described above) is not
very reasonable. Accordingly, we always determine on which board sections
the objectives are to be placed randomly, or else just distribute them
evenly across the board in areas that look like they deserve objectives.

I imagine that this would make it considerably more difficult for you to
make use of the tactic you describe (swarming up one side of the board
with a horde of infantry.) Not that I think that swarms of cheap troops are
ineffective; far from it! It's just that in situations where objectives
are widely spread (such as the ones I commonly encounter) the faster CC troops
like bikes/rough riders/etc. tend to be more effective.

Cameron Bentsen, Ottawa.