Re: [Epic] E40k Ask your Questions now

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:00:49 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Christophe HAUSS wrote:

> It seems there is a lot of difference between Epic and E40K, especially
> the process to create an army.
>
> I heard you can now combine in the same detachment how much
> different unit you want: so you can build a infantry unit with tactical
> and assault troups??? An Empirium tactic squad was composed of
> 10 (*5) tactical stand and a command stand, what's now?
>
> Could you please give us an exemple.
> Choose any race and build us a little force, say 500pts, as we can
> see how this will work!

It'll be easier to show you how I built my army from two weekends ago.
I'd pick last weekend, but I was tesing my knight rules and the points
values are still being worked on.

Okay first up is an army commander. I chose an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
for joint IG/SM command. You get two bodyguard squads so I chose 2
regular IG suqads for 4 units (stands). Three Chimeras provided enough
transport to make it mechanised.
Points value 130.

Considering this was a joint SM/IG/TL army I needed the IG artillery. I
decided to go with the old arty company from the prev. edition. This
translates into three Siege Artillery and six Heavy Artillery. I threw in
two Hydras to keep the bombers away. The detachment HQ was chosen as one
of the Siege Arty.
Points value 489.

Now I knew I needed a det. that could handle Assaults. Very few troops
are better than Assault SM. Five squads at two units each for a total of
ten units. I used a Librarian as det. HQ to add the psyker bonus.
Points value 205.

Of course you can't take any IG without a heavy infantry company. I took
three IG command units to allow me nine squads (three each). Then I took
the full nine IG Heavy squads at one unit per squad (nine total). Six
Chimeras provided enough transport for the whole det.
Points value 308.

I needed some tanks to provide high firepower in the open areas (infantry
make use of cover so they'd take the rubble/buildings/broken ground). The
Leman Russ tank provides good speed and great firepower. I took a
standard company of ten tanks with one as det. HQ.
Points value 345.

Finally I needed some War Engine support for the big fights. I started
with a detachment of two Shadowswords for the long range armor penetration
power. Det. HQ was one of the tanks.
Points value 220.

My last choice was the ceterpiece of the army, a Warlord titan. This
would be the crux of my army, where the attack would rally around.
Points value 550.

Total Points: 2247

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy