Re: [Epic] First Epic Battle!!

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:54:01 -0500

> From: Johnnemann Nordhagen <jsnord_at_...>
>
> I recently played my first epic battle. Whoa!! It was fun for both
> parties, albeit a little confusing... I would give you a complete battle
> report, but i can't remember everything. We made many mistakes, I'm
> sure, the most noticeable being the objectives. We placed them without
> consulting the rules to doublecheck what we thought was correct, and we
> screwed it up so badly it was impossible to use objectives. Of course,
> we realized this too far into the battle to change. Also, we started
> about 100 cm away from each other, instead of 80, which was to my
> disadvantage...

        That's nuthin'. When we first started playing we thought
companies were just REALLY large detachments and all the stands in
the company had to stay within 6 cm of each other for the whole game.

> I was playing Chaos, and my friend had Space Marines. I knew i had to
> get into CC in order to do damage, as i had no range above 50cm, aside
> from Magnus. So i started charging across the board. He just sat back
> and zapped me with Land Raiders and his Warlord. By the time i got into
> CC, I had lost two GDs, almost every company of infantry, and all my
> Rhinos and flyers. Any suggestions? Also, if you have any comments,
> please go ahead... thanks,

        There's a tactics article on my website (provided by the
esteemed Greg Klett) that's particularly good for beginning Chaos
players. Check out http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes/EPIC/post.chaos_tactics.html

        Other than that, I'd say stay away from the Khorne Daemon
Engines & most of the Tzeentch ones. Oh, and the Contagion, too.
If you want shooty stuff, take space marine tanks or titans.

Scott
shupes_at_...
http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes/EPIC