Re: [Epic] Titans and Eldar (looooong) (was: Titans and CC)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 22:07:27 GMT

At 09:04 AM 21/3/97 +1000, you wrote:
>>> Oh, I like the abilities all right, but I like to earn them for the titan
>>> rather than buy them. (This is not a problem - other than keeping the titan
>>> alive - in my regular gaming group, but you really need a bunch of opponents
>>> who you play with in a campaign like setting.)
>>
>>It is fun to watch your titans earn battle honors in a campaign setting.
>>My hat's off to anyone who can earn a second one with the same titan.
>>
>>Generally, I don't mind people buying titan honors, so long as they pay
>>the points and then roll on the chart. After all, this is how the
>>honor would be selected in a campaign, and really what I think was intended
>>for purchased honors as well. It's when people start paying points and
>>*picking* which honor to buy that I get a little iffy on the whole subject.
>
>I once saw an Eldar player play a game against a bunch of newbies where he
>had a couple of the Eldar Scout Titans with battle honours. Not just one of
>two, but about four! It was a once off game to introduce them to the game,
>and this player "claimed" that the titans had been used in many games before
>hand and had already earnt the experience and he wasn't going to not use
>them without the experience. And of course the honours were the best ones
>you could get. It was a reasonably large battle, 5000 points, but the scout
>titans really swung the battle. They killed the opposing warhounds, the only
>other titans very quickly, and then mopped up other units never really being
>threatoned. I thought it was very unsporting as the guy didn't pay any extra
>to make his titans a great deal better. And it wasn't a campaign, just a
>once off that really put the other two players off epic. It turned out to be
>an ego-boost for the eldar player and little more. It's abuses like this
>that helped put me off the honours.

Like I said, I have no problem with honours gained in a stable gaming
environment, but the story you have related is obscene.

One of our squat players Colossi has about 40 XP with however many honours
that entails because it is fielded as part of a doom anvil squadron and
after we have shot the cyclopses to bits, we just don't have enough guns to
kill the damn thing...

(Of course now that I have been taught the error of my thinking on warp
missiles, I haven't seen "Mjolnir" the big thing "manned" by little guys...)

Agro