Re: [Epic] How to deal with artillery

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:51:42 -0600

At 06:02 PM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Fellow Epic players,
> My usual opponent plays a force consisting of a space
>marine/Imperial Guard Mix. He basically uses the tanks and infantry of
>marines with the artillery and leviathan of the guard. He has taken an
>artillery company to count as his IG company which makes the force legal
>(I think- We don't have a copy of Armies of the Imperium). I play an
>Orcish Horde and am having a lot of trouble dealing with his artillery.
>It seems that dragsta shields are the only chance that I have of even
>hoping to avoid having all of my units blown up but I don't want to be
>cheesy by taking a ton of them.

Why not? Your opponent is optimizing his force by taking the highlights
from two armies, so why shouldn't you restrict yourself to only the most
effective units from your army list? If he accuses you of being cheesy,
point out the fact that he is doing the same thing.

>Does anyone have some strategies for
>dealing with artillery? I usually try to rush him which works with mixed
>sucess. My force has Goffs and a Kult to charge, Death Skulls with Land
>Raiders to Advance, and Bad Moonz with braincrushas and weirdboys to fire
>from a distance (this is usually his primary target).

Absolutely. 1) maximize your mekboy cards. Nothing throws an opponent off
faster than nobz bikes charging at 90 across the board. Suddenly the
artillery is amazingly vulnerable. This goes for the other speed
units/mekboy cards also, for example, take the Goff Nobz and put them in
battlewagons. The wagons become command units when attached to the Nobz, so
they charge and first fire. Throw a mekboy card on them and Voila! you have
a very fast nasty cc unit. 2)Weirdboy towers with custom force fields are
remarkably hardy. 3)You might try a Deathskull clan with a second weirdboy
tower. This would be especially effective if the terrain is open. 4) If
the terrain is not open, then fast stuff that can hide behind or in terrain
is the best, e.g. boarboyz, stormboyz, stuff loaded in giblet grindas (so
you can enter woods, and not be seen).

Hope that helps.

Temp