Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Facts

From: Joseph Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 11:26:15 -0600

Richard Dewsbery wrote:

> I cannot think of any major battle or engagement in history where
> artillery caused the most casualties. Even in WWI, where artillery was
> at its zenith, the main causes of loss of life were disease and machine
> guns, IIRC.
>
> Artillery does not kill masses of troops - it's too inaccurate for that
> unless massive barrages are employed. What it does do is disrupt enemy
> formations, causing troops to keep their heads down and damaging chains
> of communication.
>
> If an infantryman wants to avoid artillery,ne nides in a bunker. The
> only way to clear a man from a bunker is to knock it down, or to assault
> it with infantry. By and large, artillery is topo innaccurate and too
> expensive to make the first option viable, so it's time for the PBI.

In several words, you are incorrect.

Artillery, after say, 1800, has been THE major factor in warfare. I
would quote exact number but all of my books are packed away (just
moved). As good general referance on modern warfare, with more numbers
that you may want to deal with, find a copy of "How to Make War", by
James F. Dunnigan. If there really is any intrest on the list on the
battle field death break down for WWI, WWII, and post WWII wars, I will
post them after I get my books out of the boxes. For what it is worth,
Close Combat, in GW's context and what the US Army calls Close Combat
are NOT the same thing. The US Army thinks that CC is combat at under
200 meters range. Given the VERY short ranges of GW's game weapons
this would be "long range" in a game. Closeing to melee range and going
at it with sharp pointy things is NOT something that was done after 1914
or so.

Also Artillery is by no matter of means as inaccurate as you seem to
think. After the "modern" foward observer came in to play (say 1930 or
so for the US, a bit latter for the rest of the world) a group of
infantry in the open the was spotted by the FO was going to be dead.
Atrillery is called "the God Of War" or "The King Of Battle" for a
reason. It RULES the battle field.