Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Facts

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:56:06 +0100

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 09:59 AM 3/29/97 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Realism - minor details dont's matter.
> >
> >Any more?
>
> I agree with the rest of your statements, but minor details do matter a
> great deal in combat. In any case, I think that removing the differing
> effects of several special weapons/units and adding in individual character
> models was pretty stupid as far as maintaining the "details are unimportant
> in this scale" concept.
>
> Temp
 The individual character models may be present on the sprue, but in the
rules there is nothing special about a techmarine, apothacary or
chaplain - only the psyker is important.

At close range, does it matter that you're facing 4 guys with boltguns
and one with a multimelta as opposed to 4 guys with boltguns and one
with a plasma gun - I don't think so, not at the scale epic works at,
anyway.

The old rules got far too bogged down with what vehs mounted what
secondary weapon systems - this is the sort of minor detail which added
nothing to the game, but is no longer present.

For a further example of how a game system can have all of the minor
details cut out to leave the bare essentials, see DBM - and yet, for all
the "broad brush" approach of the ruleset, it is widely considered to
give the most realistic depiction of ancient battles.

Richard