Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Facts

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:12:56 +0100

Michael the Liu wrote:

> >At close range, does it matter that you're facing 4 guys with boltguns
> >and one with a multimelta as opposed to 4 guys with boltguns and one
> >with a plasma gun - I don't think so, not at the scale epic works at,
> >anyway.
> >
> >The old rules got far too bogged down with what vehs mounted what
> >secondary weapon systems - this is the sort of minor detail which added
> >nothing to the game, but is no longer present.
>
> Odd then, that you can tell the difference between a demolisher and a leman
> russ. You are definately correct with saying that a stand of infantry is a
> stand of infantry regardless of their heavy weapon. And I'm even willing
> to concede that Epic40k has some parts to it that intrigue me. However, at
> this point, judging from what they added and removed, I can't see their
> "abstraction" as anything except a play to the 40k players, all whining
> aside. There is simple no reason changing the weapon on a leman russ
> should be noticeable if you can't even tell when you change from a Plasma
> Destructor, a very unique weapon that shuts down your Titan, to a Quake
> Cannon, a very "average" yet still Death-Rayish weapon.

I don't know any details of WH40k. But in Epic40k, the demolisher is
very different to the leman rus - slower, shorter range, but can support
infantry attacks better, with higher firepower.

 The plasma destructor is classed as a death ray - the quake cannon (old
macro-cannon?) is now a mega-cannon, with a different firing mechanism
to the death ray.

Richard
(I too had sworn not to buy E40k - until I tried it, and found it was
actually a good game. And I don't believe in missing out on a good game
just because I think the publishers are money grabbing toads. Hell,
sometimes _I_ am a money grabbing toad, too.)