RE: [Epic] Epic 40K Facts

From: Farley, James <JFarley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:43:59 -0800

>> >This is true for HQs, but not special characters or units. I can also see
>> >cheesing the HQ concept, when the second in command (as determined by the
>> >army book) is at the edge of the formation, so you just kill the commander
>> >and put half of the unit out of command.
>>> >

>> Well, given there is often a choice who will be the HQ once the
>>original leader has gone, I don't see this as too much of a problem.
>>And in terms of characters, there are the army commanders (usually with
>>saves or even multiple wounds), the formation leaders and the psykers.
>>All of the Eldar "characters" have saves, most of the Ork and Imperial
>>characters have saves, etc.

Yes, but sometimes you can't pick, and that can be a bitch.

>>I don't see this as being a problem. Put the rule on its head - SHWs
>>have to shoot at the closest unit - now that looks like a cheese
>>opportunity, using the cheapest infantry to guard your own super heavy
>>tanks against the enemy tank killers.

Yes, more cheese can be smelt if you can screen SHT with gretchen, but
the no shooting at commanders
rule unless closest target, might be better (similar to the current SM
rules). I don't know if it is a problem either, my opponent so far has
chosen to fire at units without saves (I always seem to make the save,
so he doesn't try anymore)

>>"boss, why are we firing our death ray at those gretchen, when there's a
>>big gargant just behind them pointing this way?"
>>"Coz that's what the rules sa-----"

Also, shooting at the closest thing only applies to the same detachment,
I can fire past one detachment to hit another detachments, but in that
detachment you must hit the closest thing first (and gargants and
gretchen can't be mixed in a single detachment normally)