Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 13:29:32 -0700

>Chaos definitely _can_ field sufficient barrage templates to take your
>titans down the same way as IG or Squats. concerning "the legend of the psy
>lance", any Chaos player with a brain will never allow a Titan with this
>weapon to come close to his units. And don't tell me he has nothing firing
>at long range: he has if he takes SM/IG with him (and he would be crazy
>fighting against the Eldars without 49,9% of imperial troops). This is not
>based on assumptions but simply on gaming experience: I played my first
>games three years ago against Chaos (and still play against them):

Ah, herein lies the crux of our disagreements over the role of Titans vs
Chaos. My gaming group bars allying amongst all armies except the
Imperium, so as to preserve the spirit of each army and to prevent the best
from being stoleneach army. If the Chaos army needs 49.9% Imperials with
it just to stand a chance, then my gaming group views this as something
wrong with the rules and house rules stuff to remedy it. (I posted my
gigantic house rules list to the list a while back :P)

>1. A titan with a psy lance _never_ shot anything with that _short-ranged_
>weapon before being killed.

As Temp noted, you're group seems curiously focussed on long range combat.
CC is the killer of all GW games, decisive and quick, even if I don't like
the emphasis.

>Concerning the Orks, noboby in my group felt crazy enough to take them
>(tactics? which tactics?), so, you're right, I've never played against the
>Orks.

You should find someone. They're entertaining to play against, give you a
chance to dust off your Titans, and are a challenging match for the Eldar.

>Anyway, why did I take those Tempests, knowing many would be destroyed?
>Simple answer: Range of an Overlord: 75 cm; Range of a Tempest: 100 cm. You
>could replace them by Firestorms, but then, no save allowed against the -3
>artillery...

That's some pretty expensive shots to be pumping into the overlord. I
normally try to nuke it with smaller save mod shots.

>>Ah, and herein lies my strategy (and Temps it would seem) for eliminating
>>Squat artillery. Skulk forward using maximum coverage from terrain and
>>keeping your detachments far enough away from each other that they don't
>>get caught in the same attacks. If so much as one detachment gets through,
>>those Squat artillery pieces are toast. And if they don't, they've drawn
>>they're points worth of fire. :)

>This is not a question of pop-up vision. Of course, you can hide some of
>your jet-bikes... But you must play on very rough terrain to avoid your
>Wind Riders Host breaking on first turn (at least if you want to engage
>sufficient numbers of Jet-Bikes to _really_ harm his artillery, taking into
>account the unavoidable losses): your opponent moves ahead, too. Besides,
>to hide jour Jet-Bikes in the middle of the table, I guess they must be
>very close to each other... You were talking about barrages?

Yes, but that's why I keep enough seperation that you can't catch more than
one detachment in a blast.

>BTW, every army has that kind of fast CC troops (yes, I know, not always so
>fast, but...) and in general, people try to apply this tactics against _me_
>(being afraid of my rear artillery). I never saw it working very well:
>those troops can be destroyed by anything firing on the battlefield -
>another use for the Guardians protecting your artillery :-() !

But the Squats aren't very good at this tactic. Their bikes are overpriced
and outnumbered.

>Believe me or not, we (my partner and myself) were so sure that we could
>have been beaten that we challenged our opponents : in a near future, we
>will replay the battle with us as the squats and them as the eldars. I'm
>not sure we'll win (dubious army composition, I agree), but...

Good luck. You'll need it.

>If you're interested, I could post the battle report (on the Web). Maybe to
>expose a terrible defeat (but not with my army ;-)).

Sure, sounds interesting.

>>>You have obviously never played a chaos marine player. They are very fast
>>>and shooty. Or a fast CC army for that matter (Marine bikes, slaanesh
>>>beastrider, discriders, fleshounds, juggers, etc).

>>Yeah, that's all I ever saw. Chaos marine armies. Never seen any other
>>sort of Chaos army before.

>The same for me after my first three games (I understand you're talking
>about combined Chaos/SM/IG armies): Chaos players rapidly understand that
>Chaos alone is very impressive to see on a tabletop, but is definitely not
>a winning army. But as you're quoting "Basic Chaos troops"... Do you really
>have problems dealing with bikes and juggers? What do you call "shooty"? 5+
>or 6+ with no save mods?

No, no, no. Chaos Marine army. A Chaos army focussed about Primarchs and
fast assault. Thawks thunder onto the battlefield at extremely high speeds
and deposit detachments of Chaos marines all over the board, some in CC,
some taking objectives, and some setting up into high intensity FF
positions (those little guys are really shooty). Chaos marines are
probably one of the best infantry units in the game (not as good as Exarchs
though :P). Supporting the Chaos marines in Thawks are Chaos marines
deploying in rhinos, Primarchs, other GD, and fast basic Chaos troops.
Very shooty, very mean.

I can't help but shake the impression that your groups intense allying has
denatured the game, even if it is technically "legal".

>>>Temp (Why, yes. It IS short for Tempest. Why do you ask?)

>I didn't.

No need for you to get hostile now either.

>>Michael the Liu

>Renaud

Michael the Liu