Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics vs. Tyranids

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 13:15:34 -0700

>> > Well, I guess if you're taking dual pulsars/dual laswings
>> >it's a different story although even so they both only have save
>> >mods of -2... the Dom would still save 2/3 of the hits you get. And

>> Oh ho! But there's the catch, its not just an Eldar Titan firing upon a
>> Dominatrix. It's (sometimes) multiple Eldar Titans, along with a
>> substantial portion of the rest of my army. The ability to take an entire
>> swarm out of chain of command is just to good to pass up.

> True, but there's (presumably) multiple Doms as well.
>Odds are, at least 1 titan dead before FF. Backed up by cards
>and multiple screening units, I can't see the eldar winning
>that battle.

What, are we assuming I'm charging the entire Tyranid army here, with the
warp blast already hitting and killing one of my Titans? That warp pulse
template only hits on a 4+, and I make sure to position my Titans in such a
fashion that they don't get caught in the fire arcs of more than one Dom
(which now always have warp fields up in my games anyways). It would
probably be good to note at this point that we use an alternating movement
system. And against anything less than multiple Dom (which are the only
firepower I'm really scared of from a Tyranid army, well Zoanthropes too I
guess, when they're in range) the Eldar can out fire-fight the Tyranid army
any day.

Does anyone else feel that this seems vaguely wrong? (not incorrect, wrong)
 That Dom is just too good for its points, with a substantial portion of
the strength of the Tyranid army resting in one measily unit. They
shouldn't have to limit a unit to only one per a certain number of points
to keep it from unbalancing the game.

>> >there's still the matter of being able to target the Dom (no carnifexes,
>> >etc closer to the titan) and surviving whatever came down in the
>> >spore drop(s).

>> I almost always nail carnifexes my first chance anyways.

> It seems your opponent isn't taking nearly enough screeners.
>Carni detachments take a decent amount of firepower to drop (and there's
>a good chance they'll be up again the next turn).

Yes, probably true (regarding my opponent needing more screeners), though
once the Carnies do go down, I can move my fire onto the next group, not
having to wait to see if they regenerate (though I'm sure you're already
aware of this).

>> That regeneration versus close combat is just wrong.

> Wrong?

Hmm...evil, brutal, cruel, punishing, depicable...you get my drift.

>> And the thing with those drop pods is
>> that whatever comes down won't be able to pin my titan, and my titan is
>> never on first fire orders.

> Depends who moves 1st... if he wins initiative whatever
>CC stuff he drops would be able to walk all over one of your
>titans. So another titan would die if you lose initiative.

I thought those drop pods came down in the orders phase, after order have
been placed?

Michael the Liu