Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics vs. Tyranids

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:00:17 -0500

> From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
>
> >> (which now always have warp fields up in my games anyways). It would
> >> probably be good to note at this point that we use an alternating movement
> >> system.
>
> > Well, that changes matters somewhat...
>
> Most definately. Still though, I heartily recommend it to anyone sticking
> with the current version of Epic, as this current Eldar suck if they lose
> initiative, rule if they win stuff just doesn't cut it.

        So instead you'd have them rule all the time? Personally I
favor alternating movement, but for the eldar that means they pretty
much never have to worry about being pinned, regardless of initiative.

> >Yeah, they are too much for their points but I tend to think that's
> >true of a lot of the Tyranid stuff.
>
> Yeah, that's what I thought the first time I looked at the Tyranid army
> list. However, after seeing them off of paper, the only units I'm really
> impressed by are the Dom and Carnies.

        You've obviously never had multiple Trygons rampaging through
your hordes from behind. Oh, wait, Eldar don't get hordes... well,
let me tell you, as a chaos player it just plain sucks. One Trygon
dropped via spores can easily break multiple units in one turn. =(

> > Y'know it just dawned on me the reason you have so much
> >firepower to destroy the Doms is because it can't use terrain to
> >protect itself from any of your guns (thanks to pop-ups). It's
> >been too damn long since I've played against Eldar.
>
> I love it. :)

        Nice to know my foolishness is making you happy... =)

> > It seems to me the bug player really hasn't been exploring
> >his options. Like maybe, more screeners.
>
> Yeah, though now that he uses warp fields continuously, there's no real
> need.

        No need? Well, the point would be that he wouldn't HAVE
to use the field if he had enough screeners to protect the Dom,
and that can't be bad, right?

> That Dom isn't gonna die again anytime soon. I've only killed one
> twice when its warp field was up, both times by inflicting 50+ wounds to
> the thing in CC with overwhelming force. (both times the poor thing was
> out on a limb by itself with no support. bad mistake)

        Very bad. Same thing happened to me the one time I played
bugs.

> >Or presenting more dangerous targets (bio-titans with pyro-acid spray).
>
> I'm not too impressed by those bio-titans. I focus firepower on them for a
> turn, by concentrating on their weakly armoured legs, knock off two legs of
> each titan, and then come back later and mop them up at my leisure.

        Really? I guess if you have guns to spare. Aiming for the
legs has a really good chance of scattering off the template, doesn't
it?

        And again, if you're crippling the titans, then you're not
targeting the Doms.

> >Or shooty titans on FF to get rid of your non-titan firepower.
>
> In my experience even a shooty Tyranid titan isn't especially shooty when
> against the Eldar. Too many powerful shots.

        The bugs can be surprisingly shooty. But they have to
concentrate on it, they can't do it half-assed if it's going to
be effective.

> >Maybe he's not burning through his cards fast enough? (because they can be a
> >big help)
>
> Most definately. I keep telling him to use 'em or lose 'em, but he still
> has the nasty habit of holding on to them for that perfect moment that
> never comes.

        Ah, I made the same misjudgement when I played them. As
a chaos player I think I'm just conditioned to try and hold onto
any cards that come my way... but after the pounding I took I can't
see myself making the same mistake twice.

Scott
shupes_at_...