Re: [Epic] Chaos reward cards (was: one turn victory)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 14:26:17 -0600

-At 11:38 AM 4/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>> You act like they've never said dumb things before . . .
>
> No, I just think you're reading WAY too much into a simple
>answer.

I'm not reading anything into the answer. I think it was a bad call.

If you want to treat the reward cards separately, that's fine, but while you
are specifying such things, does the Nurgle reward go off before or after
bloodthirsters regenerate? If it is before, then I'll send some trolls
along with them, too. Half of them will have been shot and awaiting regen
rolls anyway. What about Titan void shields. With those Warhound 2+ saves
you may need the shield to save you. Does it require a firing action also?
Is it before or after VPs are counted (both are in the end phase)? Before
or after Void templates move (they could kill the last Deathguard)?

My argument is that it says "during the combat phase." Half a dozen other
chaos cards say the same thing, and no one has ever been whiny enough to
write in about them. Apparently there was no misunderstanding about their
function, so why should the exact same wording mean something different on
another card?

I know, let's just make the Tzeench reward useless. I've only successfully
used the vortex template a couple of times, and you know what? The only
times it has worked, I've needed the charge distance to get within range.
Taking that away will make the chances of successfully using the reward slim
to none. Throw in the fact that about half the time it will scatter off the
target, and BANG! it's completely worthless.

If your argument is that it is too tough without the firing restriction,
then look at the Deathguard. I've killed 20+ stands by assaulting a large
group of troops, then using invisibility on the detachment. In the end
phase, 5 stand spread out over a 20 cm area with a 15 cm range can hit a LOT
of units. The Slaanesh gift can take over a titan, turn it away from the
center of the board (which means it loses a turn of optimum firepower, since
it can only turn back 90 degrees), and blow the hell out of your opponent's
flank. With a 30 cm move, 3d6+3, and the ability to take wings, or long
legs, or TK to increase their distance, a detachment of World Eaters could
conceivable move 60 cm (long legs + triple move) and kill any model (or
group of models) short of an Imperator.

Just ranting away in my little cubicle . . .
Temp