Re: [Epic] Eldar and 40K

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:33:00 -0400 (EDT)

duckrvr_at_... writes:
> How do you figure? They used to cost slightly more per stand than
> devastators, but they hit on a 4, instead of 5, which gave them 50% more
> hits if the target was in the open, and 100% more in cover. They are
> virtually identical in cost to the squat thunderers, and hit less often
> inthe open and more often in cover. And, yes, I did field them in 2nd ed.,
> but only under special conditions (like I knew they had good cover within 20
> cm so the falcons could drop them off and they could still fire on advance).

        FWIW, I didn't think the devs were worth taking either. They
(DRs) aren't the same cost as thunderers, 62.5 points versus 60 points
isn't a big deal, but 3VPs for shooting 2 of them is much worse than
3VPs for shooting 4 of them. They have a 5cm movement, so in order to
drop them off in cover, you have to advance them the first turn into
the *rear* of the cover, and then charge to the front of the cover so
they can shoot on turn 3, unless your cover is <5 cm thick. Buildings
don't count, as every army besides Eldar can drop buildings easily.
Shooting infantry in cover (the only things I usually see in cover) is
a waste, there's usually something to target out in the open for
Thunderers and Dark Reapers. If you've found the opposite to be the
case in your games, then I might consider DRs as well in your games.

        Basically, the 5cm move crippled them because it meant they
were in the open or didn't shoot until turn 3 or turn2 advance without
*optimal* cover. (i.e. a close building only 1cm thick when facing
other Eldar)

Mark