Re: [Epic] HQ Units

From: John Haire <John_Haire_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:12:00 -0400

>> By all I can tell, the sample Eldar detachment in the
>> Armies Book is not legal - it has no designated HQ unit.

> Yes, it is. It has a Farseer. the only way you can
> choose a farseer is to make him a detachment commander.

But they failed to pay the 25 point premium that any unit
in an Eldar Warhost Detachment must pay in order to be
that detatchments HQ unit.

If you did not take the farseer, you would have to select
one of your Main Force or Support units to be the HQ, and
pay 25 points for the privelage.

In this respect the Eldar Warhost Detachment is no different
than the Space Marine Detachment or Space Marine Armor
Detachment. Both must pay a premium for thier HQ unit,
regardless of whether or not they take a Captain or Librarian.

If I have misinterpreted the rules, and the Eldar sample
detachment is correct, then that must mean that the sample
Space Marine detachment and the SM detachments in the
Battles Book must be wrong. I can see GW making a mistake
in one place (the Eldar sample) but not in four (the
sample marines and scenario detachments).

Both the Eldar Warhost and Space Marine Detachments MUST
choose an HQ detachment. In so doing, they increase the
cost of said detachment by 25 points. If the Warhost includes
a Farseer, or if the SM's include a Captain (or Librarian)
then the Farseer or Captain MUST be the HQ and must pay
the additional 25 points.

- John Haire