Re: [Epic] IG/TL vs Space Wolves

From: PAULO ALEXANDRE CORREIA POMBAL(leic) <"PAULO>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:36:09 +0100 (WET DST)

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Dan Lobb wrote:

> duckrvr_at_... wrote:
> >
> > At 09:34 AM 4/9/97 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> > >10 Imperial Bike Companies (3000 points)
> > >1 Reaver battlegroup with: (1000 points)
> > > - 2 Reavers with Warp missile, Quake Cannon, Gatling Blaster
> > > - 1 Reaver with Combat head, Warp missile, Chain Saw and Power Ram
> >
> > Survey says . . . X, bad answer
> >
> > Definite cheese factor present.
> I think these special situations are interesting for a one shot game. I
> enjoy the simulation aspects of wargaming. You can create what if
> scenarios for WW2 armor battles where the force composition does not
> match any TOE. In fact, most people play their WW2 micro armor using the
> best tanks available even though they were rare.
>
> The battle force listed above is simliar in concept. If I had these
> forces available in a much larger army, I might have skimmed the bike
> companies off their regimental commands and grouped them for a quick
> flanking strike. I might even have assigned the Reaver group as support
> for this unit. Strategy like this can be found in the American Civil War
> by Jeb Stuart's cavlary under R.E. Lee's command.
>
> I think the cheese found in the characters with game swaying powers
> (Gaz_at_#$% the orc Warlord) or the almost unkillable unit (Dominatrix)
> more than in the massing of support units. After all, that is just
> making the best use of what is available. I would categorize that as
> thinking. I know, we aren't suppose to do that in GW games, but
> occassionally some wise guy slips in and does it. George Washington made
> use of terrain and ambush in age when that was considered "unfair".
> Montgomery and Wavell before him used massed bomber attacks, called
> "carpet bombing", to overcome Rommel in the dessert. Their armor was
> inferior on a tank to tank basis, so they tried a different approach.
> This from the most methodical and conventional army of the era.
>
> No, I have to disagree with the idea that this is a cheesy OOB.
>
> danlobb_at_...

I just wanted to use a hard-hitting ultra fast imperial force, so that the
enemy wouldn't have any time to capture objectives or make any threatening
moves. Also, we play on 2x1 m table (roughly 6x3 feet), so , WHAM, I would
be all over his and mine objectives in turn 1, suffer about 20%
casualties, and in turn two the enemy would simply disappear under a mass
of raging bike riders :).
I don't know if this army is cheesy, 'cause they don't have any saves and
their firepower is ridiculous (15cm 6+ ?!?! - a real tank buster !). The
only things about this army that are cheesy, are its incredible speed (60
cm on charge!), the vast numbers of models in play and the few VP the
enemy wins for breaking companies ( a measly 3 VPS ).

It was a real strange idea, but anyway, I'm not going to play with it
because I don't have so many bikes (160 ?!?! - geez, do you know how many
Space Marine Legion boxed sets would I have to buy?!?).

Paulo Pombal