Re: [Epic] Eldar and 40K

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:25:24 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 11-Apr-97 Re: [Epic] Eldar and 40K by
duckrvr_at_...
> >> IIRC, the thunderers are 5 for 300pts. That means they either have a
> >> break point of 3 for 3 pts or 4 for 4 points. Either way it is better,
> >> but not drastically.
> >
> > I'll check when Aaron gets back, but I think it is 4 for 3VPs,
> >making them about twice as hard to break as Dark Reapers (6+ save
> >being of little influence on this)

Sorry Mark, you don't get this one. BP 4, 4 VPs. They also cost 300
vs. 250 for DRs, and I *have* seen DRs make a saving throw. ^_^
'Course, I still think Thunderers are generally more useful, though DRs
are clearly better at, say, clearing those pesky IG troops out of the
buildings they're shooting out of....

> All the squat units that have increased break points have increased VPs to
> make up for it. A normal det would be 3 stands, 3 break points. The squats
> normally have a 2/3 bp and a 3/2 vp to make up for it. So that would make
> it 4 stands (2/3*5=10/3, if they rounded it up, then 3/2*3=9/2, which they
> would probably round to 4) for 4 points, if my math is right.

Actually, is 3/4 BP, not 2/3. Check the bike force: 22 models * 3/4 =
16.5, round up to the break point of 17. It looks like 4/3 VPs, too,
since the normal 6 VPs goes to 8 instead of 9. The same holds true for
the Iron-Breaker and the Warrior Brothehood.

[snip]
> > But on even ground, I think Thunderers will outshoot against
> >DRs every time. They have more staying power, and get into place
> >faster or sacrifice cheaper transports to do so.
>
> 3 shots on a 5 vs. 2 shots on a 4 is an average of 1 hit per stand either
> way. That's equal. With cover it becomes 3 on a six vs. 2 on a five:
> average 1/2 hit vs. 2/3 hit per stand, and much worse, with -2 cover.

This is true.

> Thunderers do have more staying power, but they move 5cm also.

Er, no. Normal 10 cm move. Squats don't slow down for heavy weapons,
and all that....

>They can use
> cheaper transports, though. Overall, I still say they are roughly
> equivalent in power.

Probably, though the fifth guy does help... so does not being half-point
hosed. 1500 points of Thunderers (5 units) will cough up 20 VPs while
firing 75 5+ shots/turn, while 1500 points of Dark Reapers (6 units)
will cough up...18 VPs (huh!) while firing 48 4+ shots/turn. Of course,
you need to kill 20 Thunderers to get the 20 VPs, while only 12 DRs need
to die. (Assuming perfect shooting.) <shrug> Both are really good,
the Eldar are just more fragile.

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...