Re: [Epic] Eldar and 40K

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:21:17 -0500

At 05:20 PM 4/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> IIRC, the thunderers are 5 for 300pts. That means they either have a break
>> point of 3 for 3 pts or 4 for 4 points. Either way it is better, but not
>> drastically.
>
> I'll check when Aaron gets back, but I think it is 4 for 3VPs,
>making them about twice as hard to break as Dark Reapers (6+ save
>being of little influence on this)

All the squat units that have increased break points have increased VPs to
make up for it. A normal det would be 3 stands, 3 break points. The squats
normally have a 2/3 bp and a 3/2 vp to make up for it. So that would make
it 4 stands (2/3*5=10/3, if they rounded it up, then 3/2*3=9/2, which they
would probably round to 4) for 4 points, if my math is right.

>> Maybe I'm missing something, but if they are in falcons they can get into
>> cover on advance orders in turn one as long as the front of the cover is
>> within 20 cm.
> I suppose you can do this, but this involves leaving your
>Falcons exposed to lots of advance fire on the 1st turn,

I said only in specific circumstances . . . anyway, if there is a building,
then they can sneak up behind the building and the DRs have just enough to
reach the front.
Again, it's only in specific circumstances.

> But on even ground, I think Thunderers will outshoot against
>DRs every time. They have more staying power, and get into place
>faster or sacrifice cheaper transports to do so.

3 shots on a 5 vs. 2 shots on a 4 is an average of 1 hit per stand either
way. That's equal. With cover it becomes 3 on a six vs. 2 on a five:
average 1/2 hit vs. 2/3 hit per stand, and much worse, with -2 cover.
Thunderers do have more staying power, but they move 5cm also. They can use
cheaper transports, though. Overall, I still say they are roughly
equivalent in power.

Temp