Re: [Epic] GW Substitutions

From: Patrik Carlsson <f94pc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:53:08 +0200

DLIL-Lewiston, Kris wrote:

> oki_at_... wrote:
> >

> > >Also, I know of several people who have been using resin cast kits to
> > >make Rhino's, and other somewhat large vehicles for 40K for quite some
> > >time. The price of the kits, and the restocking of the resin is a bit
> > >expensive, but no where near as expensive as going out and buying a GW
> > >Demolisher or Jet-bike box set.
> >
> Not too bad though the smaller the mini the worse the product. Anything
> smaller than a tank tends to become a blob. Rhinos and Land Raiders turn
> out pretty well with about 1 in 6 being useful only as destroyed
> vehicles. Though, I will admit, the people I know who do this have more
> time to try this out than I do.
>
> It tends to take about an hour to three hours to get the resin to set.
> And about thirty minutes to set up the molds if you haven't cast them
> permanently.

If you get hold on some selfhardening rubber for real pewter moulding
you can get as good results as the original, since it's made the same
way.

It will of course be difficult when there is too much details and you
will
need some experience to make the moulds perfect.
Then you need the right temperature or details won't be filled out,
wich can be overseen with some easier models with few details.
The mould itself must be good to let the pewter flow everywhere and
there shouldn't be any possibility of airpockets without chance to get
out.
GW uses a centrifuge to get the most details out of the mould but we
have
to rely on gravity.

Thats a brief description of moulding. I think there are som more
detailed
faq on some Warhammer fanasy pages.
I have no experience of resin but I made other pewter moulds from clay
and moulding sand none of which came out as good as real rubber (or
silicon or wassname)
My brother just made more than 3000 points of tanks, predators,
lemanrusses
and super heavies and most came out better than my experiments.

Though I heard of a guy making more E40K ruins with resin casts and I
think that resin might be better for occational details or casts
of single miniatures. In EPIC however you'll probably need at least 10
casts from your mould and pewter will be faster.

        Patrik Carlsson
                f94pc_at_...
                        http://www.efd.lth.se/~f94pc/epic/