[Epic] E40K: Placing Blast Markers

From: John Haire <John_Haire_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:31:46 -0400

I played my first game of E40K this weekend. Nothing fancy, just two
identical marine armies playing only for army morale (detachments based on
the ones in the Battles Book). Afterward, I re-read the rules to see what
we may have done wrong. In so doing I discovered a few interesting points:

1. In the Shooting Phase, when determining Blast Markers, the total
Firepower compared on the Blast Marker Table is before modifications for
assault orders, blast markers on the firing detachment, etc. The same is
true for comparing the number of Super Heavy weapons on the BM Table.

For instance, a detachment on Assault orders can fire during the Shooting
phase, but its Firepower counts as halved. When that detachment fires, it
places Blast Markers using its full Firepower and works out hits using its
halved Firepower.

Another example: A detachment of 2 Land Raiders represents 4 Anti-Tank
shots. If the Land Raiders have 4 blast markers on them, they can still
fire in the Shooting phase. They would place Blast Markers appropriate for
firing 4 Super Heavy Weapons (1 in this case), but would not actually be
able to do any damage to the targeted detachment (4 blast markers
suppresses 4 super heavy weapon shots).

Yet Another Example: The same detachment of 2 Land Raiders no longer has
any blast markers and is on Assault orders. The targeted detachment will
suffer Blast Markers from four SH weapons (again, 1). Each AT weapon would
then have to roll a 4+ "lock-on" check to fire (because they are on assault
orders).

2. A unit may lend support to a close assault regardless of its Assault or
Firepower ratings. This means there is a use for those rhinos after all...

BTW, when halving the Firepower of a detatchment on Assault orders, do you
round up or down?

- John Haire