Re: [Epic] blast markers vs super-heavies

From: David Dresser <lemming_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:20:03 -0700

Keith Laidlaw wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Actually, the section on "War Engines and Blast Markers" (Rulebook,
> p.40) makes it looks like War Engines *are* affected by blast markers to
> see if they can move:
>
> "War engines always count as having the special ability 'Stubborn' so
> they may re-roll the dice when they take a Leadership test in order to
> move. They also add +1 to the dice roll if their starting DC was over
> 15. Note that if a war engine fails to move because it doesn't pass a
> Leadership test it doesn't count as immobilised for the purposes of
> shooting."
>
> [snip]
>
> Warmachines are affected by blast markers for movement, etc. - I agree
> here. However I was talking about vehicles mounting Superheavy weapons
> e.g. Land Raider w/Anti-tank or Whirlwind w/Barrage. In the case of
> the Whirlwind, the Firepower (FP) is added to the detachments FP and
> is therefore reduced by the blast markers on that detachment. The Land
> Raider fires it's Anti-tank s/heavies seperately (i.e. it does NOT
> add to the firepower of the detachment), so how would you handle the
> blast markers?
>
> Before you answer, consider an Imperial Super-Heavy mounting a
> Death-Ray which has a FP of 1 (for Firefight purposes) - would this
> mean that 1 blast marker stops it from firing?
>
> Therefore the Warmachine IS affected, but the Weapon isn't!

> -Andy-

I'd just like to point out that you've erected rather a straw man
argument with the example about shadowsword superheavies. Not only do
they have a "sponson turrets (2)" entry under secondary weapons, but
they are fielded in units of 1-4. Thus, even a solitary shadowsword
will require 3 BMs before it loses it's death ray, and larger
detachments need up to 9 before being significantly hindered.

A more likely candidate for this type of shut-down is the old fashioned
princeps who insists on arming his titan only with death rays..

Our group adopted this idea that "one BM costs a detachment one
SHW-of-firepower-1 if there's no other firepower to reduce" after an
enterprising youngster fielded an army of 50 or so land raiders in a
2000 point game. This army effectively turned the idea of blast markers
into an absurdity, and we decided to prod the imperial forces to come up
with a more imaginative force selection.

-David Dresser
lemming_at_...