Re: [Epic] [E40k] FAQs and responsibilities

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:23:42 -0500

> Ok, let me set the record straight.
>
> I am not trying to take over from Allen, or anyone else. I wasn't aware
> that there was anyone "officially" in charge of this sort of thing. I'd
> come into the list with the release of E40k and it seemed to me that
> this was a task that needed doing.
>
> [snip[
>
> But if this is one of those up-tight lists where we all have to
> vote on what questions get asked, and how they should be worded, then
> I'm outta here now.

I don't think anyone was making implied accusations, Richard. At least I
hope they weren't. I certainly was not. The election many mentioned
was held, I believe, about a year ago. Like I said, since the primarchs
quit answering EPIC questions as the design of E40K got underway then
there was really no reason for anyone to know of our Q&A channel.
As far as I'm concerned all you did was show a little initiative and do
everyone a service. You certainly got me to try and contact the
primarchs again about a week sooner than I would have otherwise.

There has never been a vote on which questions to ask or how to phrase
them. In fact, if you have a question you want me to send off I've
always preferred that you send it to me at allen_at_... rather
than my usual iris2 address or the list. This both helps keep traffic
down on the list and ensures that I don't miss your question when its
tacked on to the end of a long letter. The only restriction I have ever
placed is that I give rules questions a greater priority than fluff
questions when Q&A traffic gets heavy. This was done to help Andy,
who wanted me to keep each batch of questions at 20 or under.
(That is, what are the correct stats for unit X gets a higher priority than
what color to paint unit Y; can you do action W gets a higher priority
than why did you design race Q so poorly?)

The only other restriciton Andy asked me to follow was to refer the
questioner to the rules if the case were already clearly and concisely
handled. This wasn't much of a problem with list members, but I also
tend to get a lot of questions from people outside of this list.

Allen
Check out the EPIC Q&A Archive Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/EPIC.html
These were EPIC (SM/TL) questions formulated by this mailing
list and answered by designer Andy Chambers. If you're having
a problem with EPIC, you may find your answer there.