RE: [Epic][E40k] A few comments on E40k

From: Peacekeeper-� <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:50:03 -0400

----------
From: Timothy J. Kilgore[SMTP:tkilgore_at_...]
Sent: Friday,=
 April 18, 1997 8:14 AM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: RE: [Epic][E4=
0k] A few comments on E40k

At 11:19 AM 4/18/97 -0400, you wrote:

>One th=
ing I noticed. Most people seem to be creating general purpose
detachments.=
 I.E A few shooty units, a few cc unitcs, ect. Has anyone given
though to s=
pecilized detachments. This doesn't mean you have to have all the
same unit=
, just a specifiec mission in line. I play eldar, so this occurs a
little m=
or naturally, especally since they have such small detachments that
you alm=
ost have to use diffrent detachments for diffrent missions. For instance.
>=

>Eldar Fire support Detachment.
>
>5 Dark reapers with Exarchs in Falcons.=

>4 dreadnoughts
>9 support platforms.
>
>The dread's have a good close asa=
ult value to fend off attackrs and giveng
the Dark reapers exarchs gives th=
em a respectable CAF. This should provide
some defence against CC. Also eve=
rything has a 45cm range, so you should
punish most opponents from a distan=
ce. Also, that much firepower should
place enough blast markers to slow dow=
n your opponent.
> I havn't had a chance to test this yet, so it is a theor=
y, but I would
like to know what everyone thinks.

> -james

Depend=
s on your playing style. I tried something like that and they were
complet=
ly useless most of the game, they were out of range. My playing
stlye has =
me on the opponents side of the board, assault dive behind cover,
assualt. =
 So fire support doesnt work for me too well. Whats your gaming style

Oh=
 well, it was just a concept. Actully, it's probably a holdover from 2nd, w=
here every eledar unit was either good at CC or shooty, but not both.(excep=
t exarchs). We tend not to have enough cover to dive behind it. Also I am n=
ot to thrilled with the guardians 3+ armor. Also the idea was that unit wou=
ld supress things(and hopefully kill something) while some other detachment=
 dives in to CC things. Just out of curiosigy, who thinks the CC and FF rul=
es are not very balanced. You have to massivly overpower your opponet to (2=
 times, 3 times, ect) to get bonuses. It just seems to easy to have CC troo=
ps get beat up numerous wusses, like gretchen. Also, the enemy can always h=
it back. Just some comments.

Anther weird observation. You can only reall=
y break things in CC and FF. but shooting seems to do more damage. In every=
 game I've seen so far, everyone teams up to the max on 2 or 3 stands and t=
he rest of the detachment stands around. Thus, only a relativly few enemy d=
ie in CC. Just some observations.

                                        -James