Re: [Epic] [E40k] FAQ

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 09:48:59 -0500

Michael the Liu wrote:

> >Note - this is not an offiacial FAQ (I'll leave Allen to see to that),
> >but rather a collection of the answers to our questions recently dealt
> >with by Jervis. So the rulings ARE official.
>
> Hmmm...close, but not exactly. The Primarchs as I recall were very clear
> on this point: their rulings are not officials, but are rather just the
> suggestions of the game designers that may make it into officialness
> through White Dwarf sometime in the near future.

Warning OFF TOPIC RANT IN PROGRESS
<rant>

Hmm... Shows something here... On the other "small tanks and infantry"
mailing list I read (about GDW Command Dcision) the game designer (Frank
Chadwick) is a regular member of the list. Once a month or so an
"official Frank approved Errata" list is published. Of course GDW
dosn't pubish a monthly mag to do errata in, and for that matter GDW
went out of business (they, like several other game companies, had their
lunch eaten by the card game fad).

Odd though. Maybe we should look at GW games , not as wargame, but as a
collectable game, on the same line as Magic. A normal war game company
publishes the rules, getting the figures is your problem. They MIGHT
have some suggestions as to what figures to use (for example Spearhead
seems to be sleeping with GHQ. as all the photo's in the rules are of
GHQ tanks, but they never say you can only use GHQ figures with our
game). Even in the worse cases, fantasy games, excluding WHFB, do you
ever have rules tied to a particlure figure. You have rules for say
"Elves", "Dwarves" and "Knights". You don't get rules for 'The Green
Knight". Yeah the "Green Knight" figure is a nice chunk of metal, but
sorry I don't pay $30.00 (USA) for a single heavy cav figure. I also
don't pay how every much it is that the currrent kick ass card in
"Magic TG" is going for either. In both cases you have one company that
makes both the rules that makes this silly thing so all powerful and
the silly thing in question. There is a closed loop here that does
not lend it self to making normal type war games. With the current
rules for Epic 40,000, we seem to be dodging this bullet. The E40k
rules, while haveig several holes in them (see post later to day about
the wholes in question) are the closes thing to a "normal" set of rules
that GW has done in QUITE some time.

<rant>