Re: [Epic][E40k] The cheap Eldar detachment

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 16:16:12 -0400 (EDT)

ponchoc_at_... (DLIL-Lewiston, Kris) writes:
> This is the detachment I have been using to test out the new Eldar
> points in E40K. So far I have won 3 out of 4 battles, (2 vs. Chaos, 2
> vs. SM). Of the 4 battles the one I lost was to the Space Marines. They
> had lots of air superiority (4 thunderbolt squads, and 4 Thawks).

        Well, you seem to be doing fine so far, but I've noticed a
couple things that *I* would do differently. YMMV.

> Detachment composition:
>
> Avatar 40pts.
> Bodygaurd wraithgaurd + warlock 29pts.
>
> Main-
> Farseer 50pts.
> Swooping Hawk unit + Exarch 15pts.
> Warp spider unit 14pts.
> Gaurdian Jet bike squad(2units) 30pts.
> Gaurdian Jet bike squad(2units) 30pts.
> Dark reaper unit + Exarch 21pts.

        I'd ditch the Dark reaper and get myself a Dreadnaught or
another Swooping Hawk/Warp Spider. Sure, a dread is only 5cm faster,
but this detachment seems to have a heavy disparity in speed. I'd
also put the Farseer on a Vyper. It seems kind of a motley detachment
with all of the variety.

> Eldar fleet detachment-
> 3 Night Wing Interceptors(1 is HQ) 145pts.

        I understand the overwhelming desire to field 3 Nightwings,
but 3 is a *terrible* number. If he shoots one down, you lose 3
morale. Odd numbers are really bad these days. (I checked all of the
bug-ridden examples, and they always rounded up for half strength)
Please inform me if this is incorrect, as I'll go back to using
odd-sized detachments.

> I will probably on the next run change the Avatar for a Farseer on a
> vyper, so he can keep up with the rest of the force.

        What will you use as bodyguard, 4 squads of 2 Jetbikes? 4
squads of 2 jump-pack asspects? 4 Vypers? (brr.) Those seem like
the 3 options for troops to go with a Farseer on Vyper commander...
Still, you seem to be doing fine with your Avatar.

Mark