Re: [Epic] Knight units in E40K

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 19:09:43 -0500 (CDT)

Here's my take on Knights. All of this is IMO and YMMV. :)

They shouldn't be War Engines for two reasons:
1) Slaneesh Knights (Daemon Engines) and Stompas aren't.
2) Most people who have Knights have over 20 of them... if you make them
comaprable to a Warhound or Shadowsword then you're looking at about
100pts a piece x 20 Knights and there's your 2000 point army right away.

I'd like to see the Knight shield simplified. Considering their walker
configuration they'd be tough to fully armor like the bricks that the
Imerials call tanks, so you'd consider a 5+ armor. Now count in the
shield and it gives them a 6+ armor. I don't like the idea of a Save as
the shield in 2nd ed. didn't block shots so much as provide extra
protection.

I'm against having any seperate rules for the lances. More time than I'd
like to remember we had fights in 2nd ed. whether the lances could be used
or not. Instead I reccomend a higher AV across the board.

No normal vehicles or infantry have multiple weapon systems, so I am
loathe to give the support Knights a SHW and some general FP.

Let's take a look at what we have so far in E40k:

Unit Speed Range FP AV Armor Notes Pts.
Stompa 15cm 45cm 4 4 5+ 32
Slaanesh Engine 25cm 45cm 3 2 5+ 29

Now there were 6 types of Knights: Paladin, Errant, Lancer, Crusader,
Castellan, and Baron. If you break it down you have Tac Knights
(Paladin), Assault Knights (Errant, Lancer), Support Knights (Crusader,
Castellan), and Command Knights (Baron).

Looking at how the TL Knight stats measure up to the Imperial units that
are present in E40k I submit the following:

Unit Move Range FP AV Armor Notes Pts.
Tac Knight 25cm 45cm 4 6 6+ 42?
Assault Knight 30cm 30cm 3 8 6+ 47?
Support Knight 15cm 60cm * 3 6+ MegaC 52?
Baron 25cm 45cm 4 (12) 6+ +Hero 60?

I'm a bit unclear on the points values.... I loook at them one way and see
that they're too much... then look at them another way and say they're too
little.

The detachment structure would be:

Command:
-------------------------
You must Choose one Commander:

Baron..............60?
Det. HQ...........+25

Main Force:
-------------------------
Choose up to 10 squads from the following:

Tac Knights............42? per unit
1 to 3 Knights.

Assault Knights........47? per unit
1 to 3 Knights.

Support Knights........52? per unit
1 to 3 Knights.

No Support.

What do you think sirs? :)

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy