Re: [Epic] Knight units in E40K

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 01:47:16 -0700

Paul Tobia wrote:

> Let's take a look at what we have so far in E40k:
>
> Unit Speed Range FP AV Armor Notes Pts.
> Stompa 15cm 45cm 4 4 5+ 32
> Slaanesh Engine 25cm 45cm 3 2 5+ 29
>
> Now there were 6 types of Knights: Paladin, Errant, Lancer, Crusader,
> Castellan, and Baron. If you break it down you have Tac Knights
> (Paladin), Assault Knights (Errant, Lancer), Support Knights (Crusader,
> Castellan), and Command Knights (Baron).

I agree with all of your logic: the costs, the simplifications, etc.

One thing you might consider is:

Knights _COULD_ have the attributes normally associated with Infantry.

Thus: Speed Range FP Aslt Armour Notes Pts
Knight 10cm 30cm 3 3 5 26

ONE of the below MUST be Chosen!
+Cavalry +4
(Paladin)
+Assault, Cavalry +6
(Errant,Lancer)
+Heavy Weapons +10
(Crusader,
Castellan)
+Command, Cavalry, Hero
+34
(Baron)

Which gives:

> Unit Move Range FP AV Armor Notes
> Tac Knight 20/30 30cm 3 3 6 Cavalry
> Assault Knight 20/30 15cm 3 4 6 Cavalry,Assault
> Support Knight 10 25cm 4 2 5 Heavy Weapons
> Baron 20/30 30cm 3 6 6 Cavalry, Hero

Compare with your

> Tac Knight 25cm 45cm 4 6 6+
> Assault Knight 30cm 30cm 3 8 6+
> Support Knight 15cm 60cm * 3 6+ MegaC
> Baron 25cm 45cm 4 (12) 6+ +Hero

For points values, try the following:
((FP x Range/10cm) + Move/10cm + Aslt ) * 0.5 x (Armour-2)

Thus any vehicle with FP 3, Range 30cm, Move 20cm, Aslt 1, Armour 5
would be ((3x3)+2+1)*1.5 or 18 pts. Plus optional extras such as
carrying capacity, Support etc.

The Main thing I _like_ about this is that Knights are Cavalry. Which is
how it should be IMHO. They have style. Also, it means that the famous
Knight Charge (reving up the dynamos) is pretty well simulated by
getting the 3x normal movement when assaulting the enemy.

Note that the poinst cost, move cost, Firepower etc are pretty close to
the Slaanesh "Black" Knights.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture