Re: [Epic] [E40k] Strength and Morale (was: The cheap Eldar detachment)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 20:18:21 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...> writes:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:
>
> > I understand the overwhelming desire to field 3 Nightwings,
> > but 3 is a *terrible* number. If he shoots one down, you lose 3
> > morale. Odd numbers are really bad these days. (I checked all of the
> > bug-ridden examples, and they always rounded up for half strength)
> > Please inform me if this is incorrect, as I'll go back to using
> > odd-sized detachments.
>
> My understanding of the rules is that you take the Morale hit when a
> detachment goes to "half starting Strength or less." Thus you don't go to
> 1/2 or less when you lose one of three, but you do go to 1/2 or less when
> you lose two out of three.

        My understanding is that GW considers half strength in a 3
unit detachment to be 2 units. <shrug> The number in the Half
Strength line on the detachment sheet examples (including battles
book) all round up. So my interpretation is that when you are reduced
to the number on the sheet, you take a morale hit.

        I think it's unclear enough I would like confirmation from
Jervis.

Mark